Crochet Shell N Chains Slouch Pattern by Crochet For You.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Don’t forget to add this pattern to Ravelry queue
About the pattern
This slouch is easy and lacy with shell and chains like other two patterns. I used two colors to add stripes to the slouch body because I like the way it turned out. You can use one color instead of making stripes with two colors. Or add multiple colors to get the rainbow look.
Skill level Intermediate
Finished size (teen / adult)
- Hat length top to bottom with band = 9.5”
- Hat Circumference = 19-20”
Materials (I used)
Sport yarn (16 WPI / approx: 180 total yards)
- (MC) 1 Skein 50g High Quality Natural Silk Cotton Baby Sweater Soft Yarn Knitting Hot 150 yards Watermelon Red (WIP 16)
- (CA) white color 30 yards
- 5mm crochet hook
Gauge 18 dc, 7 rows = 4” with 5mm crochet hook.
- ch = chain
- sc = single stitch
- hdc = half double crochet
- dc = double crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- st = stitch
- sk = skip
- beg = beginning
- ch-sp = chain space
- (MC) = Main Color
- (CA) = Color A
- *to* = repeat * to * the instructions
- shell st = 1 dc, ch 2, 1 dc, ch 2, 1 dc in indicated st.
- beg sc2tog = Insert hook in same sc and draw up a loop. Insert hook into next sc and draw up a loop. Yarn over, pull back through all 3 loops on hook at once.
- sc2tog = Insert hook in next sc and draw up a loop. Insert hook into next sc and draw up a loop. Yarn over, pull back through all 3 loops on hook at once.
- Crochet multiple of 3 rows for band part to get your desire Circumference of the slouch.
- This slouch worked bottom-up.
- beg ch does not count as a st.
Leaving 8” long tail of yarn, crochet ch 9 with 4.5mm crochet hook.
Row 1: hdc in 3rd ch from hook, hdc in next ch 6. (7 hdc total)
Row 2-63: ch 1, turn, hdc in each st across. (7 hdc total)
Do not fasten off.
Body of the slouch
(Work in side sts of the long side of the band. Switch to 5mm crochet hook)
ch 1, sc in each st around the long side of the band, sl st to first st. (62 sc total)
Round 1: ch 2: shell st in first st, *sk 2 sts, shell st in next st* repeat *to* end, sl st to first dc. (21 shell sts)
Round 2: ch 1, sc in same st, *ch 3, sc in next dc, ch 3, sc in next 2 dc* repeat *to* around, last sc sl st to first sc.
Round 3: sl st until next sc, ch 3, shell st in same st, *sk (ch 3, 2 sc, ch 3) shell st in next sc* repeat *to* around, sl st to first dc. (21 shell sts)
Round 4-6: repeat 2 and 3 rows.
Round 7-8: repeat3 and 2 rows with (CA)
Round 9-12: repeat 3 and 2 rows with (MC)
Round 13-14: repeat 3 and 2 rows with (CA)
Round 15-19: repeat 3 and 2 rows with (MC)
Round 20: With (MC), ch 1, sc in same st, sc in ch-sp, *ch 3, sc in next ch-sp, sc in next 2 sts, sc in next ch-sp* repeat *to* around, sl st to first sc. (84 sts)
Round 21: ch 1, beg sc2tog (see special stitch) to decrease, *sc2tog (see special stitch) to decrease* repeat *to* around, sl st to first st. Fasten off and cut the yarn leaving 10-12” tail.
Close the top of the slouch: Turn the slouch inside out first. Insert the end of yarn tail through tapestry needle and weave through spaces between sc2tog sts. Pull the yarn tightly and close the top of the hat with few more stitches.
Sew the 2 short side of the band with the yarn tail (see photos below). Fasten off and weave all ends.
Hope to see you soon with a new FREE pattern
Until then, Happy Crocheting!!
Share your finished projects of this pattern on Crochet For You FB page.
Happy hooking with Crochet For You!!
Let’s connect and share
Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
All contents include photography and patterns are copyrighted Crochet For You by Erangi Udeshika.
Do not copy, edit, distribute or republish patterns and images in this blog in part or whole as your own. Please, share a direct link to the pattern with others and anywhere else. You are welcome to make and sell finished items using my patterns.