Winter Fluffy Brim Hat Pattern by Crochet For You
I’m so happy to finally share this pattern with you. 😊 And show you how to crochet this cozy and stylish hat.
The Winter Fluffy Brim Hat features very basic crochet stitches and works top down. But the magical thing happens after crocheting with a special yarn and the hat look turn completely different with the fluffy brim. The
Scroll down & read all about the yarn suggestions and pattern notes before starting making your own Winter Fluffy Brim Hat.
Disclosure This blog contain affiliate links.
This is a stylish hat you can wear different ways.
- Wear it as a cloche hat.
- Fold the brim up.
- Attach a brooch or button on the one side brim folded up.
The yarn I used for
Many months ago, I ordered a pretty yarn from eBay. I just loved that fuzzy and fur skein on my laptop screen and want to crochet/play with them. 😀 So I ordered. And used it to make the brim of this hat. As you can see, the hat is perfect for winter season.
Last few weeks I was debating with myself about sharing the pattern on the blog. Since the yarn is not from a popular brand, I doubt that you might not be able to find it. And I didn’t know any similar yarns that can be used instead of this yarn.
I think these yarns are good alternatives
So I shared the story on Instagram telling about the problem I had. Thanks to my Insta friends I could solve the problem. 😊 99% have suggested me Bernat Pipsqueak yarn. Thank you so much my Insta friends!
The Bernat Pipsqueak yarn has that fluffy look. And I’m happy about the gauge. I made a gauge swatch with my yarn to see if it meets the gauge on Pipsqueak yarn. The stitches were the same count. (9sc =4” with I-9/ 5.5mm crochet hook) but my rows bit higher than Pipsqueak yarn, it’ll be okay because we can decrease or increase the rows. (I’ll add more about this and the hook size I used in the notes section below)
When I searched more about fluffy yarns, my eyes also grabbed these two yarns.
Please note that I haven’t touched, seen or worked with these yarns. Surely there are many more so you just want to select soft & fluffy yarns to make the brim.
Skill Level: Easy
Finished size: Adult
- Hat circumference = 21”
- Hat height (top to bottom) = 10”
- Hat without brim = 7”
- The brim height = 3”
- 4-medium, worsted weight yarn in white (approx: 100 yards)
- For the hat: I-9 / 5.5mm crochet hook
- For the brim: use fluffy yarn and the hook size on the yarn label.
(approx: 50 yards)
- Tapestry needle for weaving ends
- Optional: brooch or button to attach
The gauge of the yarn
- sl st = slip stitch
- ch = chain
- hdc = half double crochet
- st(s) = stitch(s)
- * to ; = repeat * to the instructions.
- This hat made in adult size
- Follow the hat sizing guide-How to Crochet Hat in Any Size to make this hat in any size. And add few rows to the brim part to make it taller (repeat round 17 in brim part) so you can wear the hat in different ways I listed above.
- When working with fluffy yarn it is hard to see the stitches you previously made. You can feel the stitch by pocking fingers through the stitches.
- I didn’t try to insert the hook in 2 loops on the fluffy stitches. Insert any loop (front loop or back loop) you grabbed by the feel, not sight.
- When working with fluffy yarn, I recommend you to pick the hook size on the yarn label. Make your stitches loosely than your normal stitches. But you can change the hook size if you want.
- Beg ch does not count as st.
With white color yarn and I-9, 5.5mm crochet hook, make an adjustable/magic ring.
Round 1: ch 1, 8 hdc into the ring, sl st to the first hdc. (8 sts).
Round 2: ch 1, 2 hdc in first st and each of next st around, sl st to the first hdc. (16 sts)
Round 3: ch 1, 2 hdc in first st, *hdc in next st, 2 hdc in next st; repeat to around, sl st to the first hdc. (24 sts)
Round 4: ch 1, 2
Round 5: ch 1, 2
Round 6: ch 1, 2
Round 7: ch 1, 2
Round 8: ch 1, 2 hdc in first st, *hdc in each of next 6 sts, 2 hdc in next st; repeat * to around, sl st to the first hdc. (64 sts)
Round 9: ch 1, hdc in each st around, sl st to the first hdc. (64 sts)
Round 10 to 16: repeat round 9. Fasten off and weave the end.
Fluffy brim part
(Be sure to read the note section before starting work with fluffy yarn)
With the fluffy yarn and the hook on the yarn label,
Round 17: ch 1,
Round 18 to 21: repeat round 17. (64 sts) Fasten off and weave the end. (you can add or subtract the round of brim part to get the right measurement for brim)
Hope to see you soon with a new FREE pattern 🙂
Until then, Happy Crocheting!!
Share your finished projects of this pattern on Crochet For You FB page.
Happy hooking with Crochet For You!!
Let’s connect and share
Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
All contents include photography and patterns are copyrighted Crochet For You by Erangi Udeshika.
Do not copy, edit, distribute or republish patterns and images in this blog in part or whole as your own. Please, share a direct link to the pattern with others and anywhere else. You are welcome to make and sell finished items using my patterns.