Peppermint Houndstooth Crochet Hat Pattern by Crochet For You.
Hi, my friends! 😀 I know how much you love Peppermint Houndstooth Crochet Scarf. So I decided to make a matching hat. I hope you like these hat and scarf has a set and it would be great for gift giving, too. Or maybe you will like to make yourself.
The Peppermint Houndstooth hat uses the same great houndstooth stitch and the peppermint colors red, white as the Peppermint Houndstooth Scarf. 🙂
You have two options. I turned the band part up to use it as a hat. Without doing it you can use it as a slouch.
Disclosure This blog contain affiliate links.
Peppermint Houndstooth Crochet Scarf
Click on the photo below to go to the pattern post.
Skill level: Easy
Finished size (adult but can be adjusted to any size)
- Hat circumference = 20″
- Hat height without pompom = 9″
#4 – Medium / Worsted weight yarns (Approx: 165 yards)
- (C1) red color (Approx: 105 yards total)
- (C2) white color (Approx: 60 yards total)
- J-10, 6mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle for weaving ends.
- Red or white pompom.
Gauge: 12 sc x 13 rows = 4” with -10, 6mm crochet hook.
- ch = chain
- sl st = slip stitch
- sc = single crochet
- dc = double crochet
- st = stitch
- beg = beginning
- RS = Right Side
- WS = Wrong Side
- BL = Back Loop
- C1 = color 1
- C2 = color 2
- *to = repeat * to the instructions.
- [ ] work instructions within brackets as many times as directed
- sc2tog = [Insert hook in next st and draw up a loop] 2 times. Yarn over, pull back through all 3 loops on hook at once.
- This hat can be adjusted to any size.
- Crochet multiple of 2 rows for the band part to get your desired circumference.
- beg ch does not count as a st.
- This pattern working on wrong side facing you. And the color changing from outside (wrong side).
- When I started to crochet this hat, I noticed the real houndstooth stitch appeared on the wrong side (inside) of the hat. So I frog it and started again. I changed the way of doing color changing a little bit. I did color changing from the outside where we are working on. It means the right side of the hat in inside. 🙂 see the photo collage below for changing color from outside.
changing color from outside
Peppermint Houndstooth Crochet Hat Pattern
To get your desired circumference for the slouch, crochet multiple of 2 rows for the band)
- 64 sc rows for 21” (adult)
- 58 sc rows for 19” (teen)
- 54 sc rows for 18” (child)
Leaving 6” long tail of the yarn, with the J-10, 6mm crochet hook.
Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from the hook, sc in each st across, turn. (6 sts)
Row 2: ch 1, sc in first st, sc in BL of each of next 4 sts, sc in last st, turn. (6 sts)
Row 3 to 64: repeat row 2.
Insert the yarn tail through the tapestry needle, place two short sides together and sew with the tapestry needle.
Body of the slouch
(Work in long side of the band)
Round 1: (WS) with (C1) yarn, ch 1, sc in first st and each st around, sl st to the first sc. (64 sts) Do not cut the yarn when changing colors. Carry yarn when it needs. And see the photo collage above in notes section for changing color from outside.
Round 2: (WS) Join the (C2) yarn from outside and take the (C1) yarn outside (see the photo collage above in notes section), ch 1, sc in first st, *dc in next st, sc in next st; repeat * to around, sl st to the first sc. (64 sts)
Round 3: (WS) with (C1) yarn (see the photo collage above in notes section for changing color from outside), ch 1, dc in first st, *sc in next dc, dc in next sc; repeat * to around, sl st to the first dc. (64 sts)
Round 4 t0 19: (WS) repeat round 2 and 3 continuously. Now turn the work inside out. This is the right side of the hat. Cut (C2) yarn and fasten off.
Round 20: (RS) ch 1, sc in each st across, sl st to first st. (64 sts)
Round 21: (RS) ch 1, sc in first st and next st, *sc2tog, sc in each of next 2 sts; repeat * to around, sl st to first st. (48 sts)
Round 22 to 23: (RS) repeat round 21.
Round 24: (RS) ch 1, sc in first, *sc2tog, sc in next st; repeat * to around, sl st to first st. (18 sts) Fasten off and weave the ends. Attach pompom if you like.
Hope to see you soon with a new FREE pattern ?
Until then, Happy Crocheting!!
Share your finished projects of this pattern on Crochet For You FB page.
Happy hooking with Crochet For You!!
Let’s connect and share
Facebook| Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
All contents include photography and patterns are copyrighted Crochet For You by Erangi Udeshika.
Do not copy, edit, distribute or republish patterns and images in this blog in part or whole as your own. Please, share a direct link to the pattern with others and anywhere else. You are welcome to make and sell finished items using my patterns.