Crochet Bavarian Stitch Pouch Pattern by Crochet For You
When I recently learn Bavarian stitch couple of weeks ago, I thought to make a pouch using that beautiful and textured diamond shape stitch. The color of Lion Brand 24/7 cotton yarn, the texture of diamond shape and the tassel gives this pouch modern and elegant look.
Disclosure This blog contain affiliate links.
This crochet pouch pattern is worked in Bavarian stitch in rounds. And crocheted from the bottom up. I’m so happy about the final result. I hope you enjoyed this pouch pattern like me.
I used one skein of Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton yarn.
The Bavarian stitch in round looks complicated but very easy to understand if you follow this stitch tutorial in this post with step by step photos.
Skill level: Intermediate
Finished size: 9″ x 7″.
#4-Medium / Worsted / 100% Mercerized Cotton / Approx: 200 yards
- One skein of Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton in Jade color – 186 yards total (Amazon Affiliate)
- US G-6, 4mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle for weaving ends.
- Zipper about 10” long (zipper should be 2-3” longer than the opening of the bag)
Gauge: 14 sc x 19 rows = 4″ with US G-6, 4mm crochet hook
- ch = chain
- st = stitch
- sk = skip
- FL = front loop
- sc = single crochet
- dc = double crochet
- bpdc = yo, insert the hook around the post of next st back from front and again front to back, yo, pull back a loop through the st, [yo, pull back through two loops on the hook] 2 times.
- ch-sp = chain – space
- yo = yarn over
- [ ] work instructions within brackets as many times as directed
- * to ; = repeat * to the instructions.
- Fan stitch: (4 dc, ch 1, 4 dc) in indicated st. (Click here to see Bavarian stitch Tutorial)
- Bpdc8tog: [yo, insert the hook around the post of next st back from front and again front to back, yo,pull back a loop through the st, yo, pull back through two loops on the hook] 4 times, sk next sc,[yo, insert the hook around the post of next st back from front and again front to back, yo, pull back through the st, yo, pull back through two loops on the hook] 4 times, yo, pull back thought all the 9 loops on the hook. Ch 1 for secure the stitch. (Click here to see Bavarian stitch Tutorial)
- This purse is worked from the bottom up like a tube.
- This purse is worked in bottom up.
- The bottom of the purse is sewn together with tapestry needle and yarn.
- Lining is optional. If you use this purse for just lightweight essentials in your bag like sun glasses, make-up and coins, you no need to add lining.
Crochet Bavarian Stitch Pouch Pattern
Leaving 15 inches long yarn tail, crochet 72 chains with US G-6, 4mm crochet hook
Round 1: ch 1, sc in first st, *sk next ch 2, fan st in next st, sk next ch 2, sc in next st; repeat * to around, sl st to the first sc. Before starting next round, sl st in FL until chain space of fan stitch. (click here to see the stitch tutorial)
Round 2: ch 1, *sc in chain space, ch 3, bpdc8tog, ch 3, sc in next chain space of fan stitch; repeat * to around, sl st to the first sc.
Round 3: ch 1, sc in first sc, *fan st in top of the next bpdc8tog st, sc in next sc; repeat * to around, sl st to the first sc. Before starting next round, sl st in FL until chain space of fan stitch.
Round 4 to 14: Repeat rows 2 and 3 continuously.
Round 15: ch 1, sc in first sc, *5 sc in bpdc8tog, sc in next sc; repeat * to around, sl st to the first st. (84 sc total)
Round 16: ch 1, sc in first st and each of next st around, sl st to the first st.
Bottom of the bag
Lay the piece of work and bring the yarn tail at the bottom to the one corner. Join the bottom with stitch markers first shown as in (image 1). Using tapestry needle and the same yarn tail at the bottom, start to sew with whip stitch (image 2, 3 and 4).
Attaching the zipper
Open up the zipper. Pin one side of the zipper to the bag opening. Pin other side as well as and make sure that the zipper line up with the other side. I used back stitch to sew the zipper. If you want to add lining to the bag >> Check out this tutorial for more info.
Join yarn at a side of purse (I like to do it on the side with the zipper tab when it is closed), ch 40, sl st to same st as join. Fasten off. Attach the tassel.
Hope to see you soon with a new FREE pattern
Until then, Happy Crocheting!!
Share your finished projects of this pattern on Crochet For You FB page.
Happy hooking with Crochet For You!!
Let’s connect and share
Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
All contents include photography and patterns are copyrighted Crochet For You by Erangi Udeshika.
Do not copy, edit, distribute or republish patterns and images in this blog in part or whole as your own. Please, share a direct link to the pattern with others and anywhere else. You are welcome to make and sell finished items using my patterns.