How to Crochet Bavarian Stitch in Round
Learning new crochet stitch is like a turning new page of the book of your crochet life. In this chapter, we are going to learn how to crochet Bavarian stitch in round.
Disclosure This blog contain affiliate links.
Crochet Bavarian stitch is a really interesting and has a lovely textured diamond shape design. This pattern looks complicated but very easy to understand if you follow the stitch tutorial in this post with step by step photos.
Normally this stitch pattern works from center out to create a large or small squares that you can use as snugly blankets, afghans and throw.
In this tutorial, today we are going to learn how to crochet Bavarian stitch in round.
You can make this stitch in solid and more than one color. For this tutorial I used one color, I used Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton yarn. If you use 2 colors, change the color after round 1 and every 2 rounds.
Add this stitch to Ravelry queue
Save on Pinterest
You will need
- Any weight of yarns you wish to use and recommended hook size for the yarn weight you selected.
- You can make this stitch in solid and more than one color. If you use 2 colors, change the color after round 1 and every 2 rounds.
- Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton (Affiliate Link)
- US G-6, 4mm crochet hook
And other essential materials and tools like
- Stitch markers
- Measuring tape and
- Yarn needle for weaving ends.
- ch = chain
- st = stitch
- sk = skip
- FL = front loop
- sc = single crochet
- dc = double crochet
- bpdc = yo, insert the hook around the post of next st back from front and again front to back, yo, pull back a loop through the st, [yo, pull back through two loops on the hook] 2 times.
- ch-sp = chain – space
- yo = yarn over
- [ ] work instructions within brackets as many times as directed
- * to ; = repeat * to the instructions.
- Fan stitch: (4 dc, ch 1, 4 dc) in indicated st. (photo collage below)
- Bpdc8tog: [yo, insert the hook around the post of next st back from front and again front to back, yo,pull back a loop through the st, yo, pull back through two loops on the hook] 4 times, sk next sc,[yo, insert the hook around the post of next st back from front and again front to back, yo, pull back through the st, yo, pull back through two loops on the hook] 4 times, yo, pull back thought all the 9 loops on the hook. Ch 1 for secure the stitch. (photo collage below)
How to Crochet Bavarian Stitch in Round
Crochet multiple of 6 and sl st to the first st.
Round 1: ch 1, sc in first st (image 1), *sk next ch 2, fan st in next st (image 2), sk next ch 2, sc in next st (image 4); repeat * to around, sl st to the first sc.
Before starting next round, sl st in FL until chain space of fan stitch. (see image below)
Round 2: ch 1, *sc in chain space (image 5), ch 3 (image 6), bpdc8tog (image 7), ch 3, sc in next chain space of fan stitch (image 8); repeat * to around, sl st to the first sc.
Round 3: ch 1, sc in first sc, *fan st in top of the next bpdc8tog st, sc in next sc; repeat * to around, sl st to the first sc.
Before starting next round, sl st in FL until chain space of fan stitch.
Repeat rows 2 and 3 until your desired length.
Hope to see you soon with a new FREE pattern
Until then, Happy Crocheting!!
Share your finished projects of this pattern on Crochet For You FB page.
Happy hooking with Crochet For You!!
Let’s connect and share
Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram
All contents include photography and patterns are copyrighted Crochet For You by Erangi Udeshika.
Do not copy, edit, distribute or republish patterns and images in this blog in part or whole as your own. Please, share a direct link to the pattern with others and anywhere else. You are welcome to make and sell finished items using my patterns.
I am very disappointed have been trying to find the instructions for the bavarian stitch beanie, I found directions on how to do bavarian stich but not directions for the hat. Can you direct me to find them, Lovely hat & would love to make it. Thank You!
Hi Barbara, sorry it took so long. Here is the link for the hat. https://www.crochetforyoublog.com/2020/12/crochet-bavarian-stitch-beanie/ I hope you will enjoy the pattern.
This stitch looks very intriging and will start the hat pattern when the weather cools off here in Montana.
Just can’t get with it when the weather is this hot and having yarn on your lap isn’t good. I have this pattern top on my pile to be the first one I start. Thank You, you are very helpful.
I find round 2 impossible the 2nd post stitch won’t go without unravelling the 1st am l missing something? And why do 2 in 1 stitch and then skip a stitch – why not 1 stitch in each? I’m sorry if l’m being dense but l just can’t get it and l am familiar with doing 2 stitches on one post to increase but I can’t get a back and front post to work!
Hi Lin, I hope you can understand this by seeing on a video tutorial. See the Bavarian stitch tutorial by AllFreeCrochet from the time code 10.00. I hope you will easily understand how to crochet Bpdc8tog after watching this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjSruZJiDeI&t=835s